Hernia surgery is performed to fix a hernia, it happens when a portion of an internal organ budges out through an abdominal opening. A hernia is very common amongst both men and women. It can be detected, while lifting heavy things, coughing, sneezing, also during exercising. The hernia can develop over time or it can be intrinsic as well. If it budges out more often during coughing and sneezing, Hernia Surgery becomes inevitable.
Hernia surgery can be done in two ways, open surgery and laparoscopic surgery. Almost every expert doctor prefers laparoscopic surgery for ensuring the maximum benefits of the patient. With the help of the laparoscopic surgery, a patient can recover quickly and go home the very same or the following day.
Here are some tips to follow after hernia surgery for a faster recovery.
1. Take rest for a few days after surgery. You can walk slowly in the room though, as it increases circulation. But do not walk too fast, otherwise, it can strain the abdomen.
2. Follow the diet your doctor provided. Eat fiber foods, fresh fruits, and green vegetables. Vegetables are good to avoid constipation and mitigate excess pressure built up.
3. Drink a lot of water and other fluids, which help you to recover from the pain quickly and promote healing the incision areas. You will get back to normal life soon.
4. Use a pillow while coughing and sneezing. Hold it against the belly to reduce the pain and shock.
5. Do not lift any load for a few weeks after the operation. If needed, you can start with light things first, after a few weeks.
6. Avoid driving while continuing the pain medications as driving can strain the incision areas. Consult with your doctor about the ideal time to resume driving.
7. Take care of the incision areas and regularly change the bandages or band-aids as per instruction.
8. Wear comfortable and lightweight clothes, preferably made up of cotton, which are easy to change.
9. Gently dry out the incision areas with a soft towel after a shower.
10. Do not work out and engage in any sports activities for a few weeks after the surgery. Consult with your doctor about it.
Stick to your doctor’s advice properly, take proper medication and follow these steps, so that you can recover from your hernia surgery and can get back to your normal life quickly. In case of any swelling, fever, or bleeding, see your doctor immediately.