Here comes that time of the year again, when we celebrate festivals with our family and friends. With Christmas and New Year’s approaching, excitement is at its peak. In India, any celebration is incomplete without delicious temptations including snacks and sweets. Eating healthy during festivals sounds like the most difficult task. People with pre-existing health conditions and those who are trying to lose weight find it most stressful to enjoy the celebrations without any fear. Even those who maintain a healthy weight tend to gain a couple of pounds during this time.
Here are some useful tips to eat healthy during the festive season.
- Don’t skip the breakfast. Have healthy breakfast and include protein and fiber in your breakfast that will keep you going until mid-morning.
- Do not skip meals or starve for long hours. Skipping meals leads to overeating during dinner which is an absolute bad indication. Eat regular small meals to prevent cravings and keep your blood sugar stable.
- Before leaving for a party, eat something light to the stomach. A bowl of salad, fruits or dry fruits will make you feel full and ultimately you will eat less at the party.
- Avoid sugary foods. Eat in small quantity and take small bites. Go with the natural sugary products like desserts which are made using jaggery, honey, dates, and natural sweetener.
- Keep yourself hydrated by drinking plain water, green tea, or buttermilk. Have warm water with a squeeze of lemon early morning to treat constipation and to reduce body weight.
- Eat slowly and chew the food properly. Proper chewing of food helps in digestion.
- Eat a big portion of breakfast and take light dinners. Try to keep lunch parties instead of dinners.
- Avoid carbonated drinks and sodas as they contain the maximum amount of calories.
- Continue to exercise regularly and keep yourself fit and motivated. Burn those extra calories that you gained during this time by running an extra mile. It will also boost your mood and keep you stress-free.
- Consumption of alcohol is harmful to our body in many ways. Avoid drinking alcohol to restrict the extra weight gain and save your liver.
- Practice healthy cooking. You can make delicious dishes using brown rice, jaggery, olive oil, oats, fresh fruits and so on. Restrict the intake of fried foods. Baked, grilled and steamed foods are the best alternative.
By following these, you can make sure not to put on at least an extra pound. A surgery is crucial for weight loss. Although the laparoscopic method is adopted nowadays, why take the pain of a surgery when you can avoid the same by keeping an eye on your plate.