This year is going to end soon and we are about to enter a New Year. New Year means a new beginning. We all make New Year’s resolutions but do we really stick to them? Well, not everyone sticks to their resolutions and end up after following it for a few days or weeks. Quitting smoking is one of the most common New Year Resolutions that we hear of. Unfortunately, most smokers do not stick to their promise and break it. Quitting smoking is not easy but it is possible. Whatever the time of the year, cutting down or quitting cigarettes is always beneficial. It is never too late to make a big difference to your health by doing so.
Here are some important tips to help you quit smoking:
- Find a very strong reason to quit. These reasons could be to protect your family from passive smoking, to lower the chance of getting cancer, heart or some other diseases. In addition to all the health benefits, you save a lot of money.
- Set a quit date. Let us keep the date on 1st January. Treat your previous attempts as a first step and get yourself motivated to continue to the next.
- Visit your doctor and seek his help. Cigarettes contain nicotine which is highly addictive. Your doctor could suggest you consume nicotine replacements such as a nicotine gum or other medicines that can help. You should be prepared for withdrawal symptoms including bad moods etc.
- Seek support from your family and friends. They will surely provide you with full support. You can also seek other support like a free telephone support such as 1-800-QUIT-NOW, online support through Smokefree.gov, or by installing quit smoking app on your phone. Instead of doing it alone, involve other known smokers too.
- Find an alternative to smoking. The urge to smoke does not last long. Therefore occupy yourself in other activities that you enjoy. It could be listening to your favorite music, meeting friends or making time for your hobbies.
- Throw out everything that reminds you of smoking. Clean your house, car, clothes and everything which smells of cigarettes.
- Be active and get moving whenever you feel the urge to smoke. Get out and start walking or jogging, you can join a yoga class too.
Millions of people have learned to live without cigarettes. Quitting cigarette is the most important step to protect your health and the health of your family. Let’s get started with a New You!