An inguinal hernia occurs when a soft tissue bulges out in the groin area. Inguinal hernia repair is one of the most common and requested surgeries. After the surgery, patients need to follow some important points in order to recover faster and get back to their normal routine as soon as possible. But the first and foremost thing is to take proper rest. You should take it easy on yourself after all you have undergone a surgery.
After the surgery, you will be able to return home the same day and can return to light activity after 3 weeks. Here we present some tips that can speed up the recovery.
- Some swelling after surgery is normal. Use ice or cold pack every 2 hours for 10 to 20 minutes. It will help in reducing the swelling and pain.
- Always keep a pillow within your reach to cover the incision whenever you sneeze or a cough. It will provide comfort.
- Take a stool softener to avoid constipation before and after the surgery as per the doctor’s recommendation. Also, include a lot of fiber in your diets such as fresh fruits and vegetables. Drink plenty of eaters.
- A few days after the surgery, start walking every day. Walking increases blood circulation and speeds up the healing process.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects for the first few days. After a few days, you can lift light objects using your knees and not your abdominal muscles.
- Wear comfortable and expandable clothes to avoid any kind of discomfort near the incision area.
- Do not drive for the initial few weeks as it can cause strain near the incision area. Speak to your doctor about when is it safe to drive.
- Avoid sports or any kind of strenuous activities for few weeks.
- Speak to your doctor when is it appropriate to the resume sexual activity.
- Do not forget to call your doctor if any of the following occur.
> Persistent fever above 100 .4
> Shaking Chills
> Pain that is not relieved over time
> Persistent nausea or vomiting
> Difficulty passing urine
> Redness, warmth or pus draining from incision
> A persistent cough or shortness of breath
> Excessive sweating
Following the above-mentioned tips, you can speed up the recovery time and will be able to resume normal activity as soon as possible. Always reach out to your doctor for any further clarifications.