Laparoscopic surgery has revolutionized the field of surgery over the past few years. It has gained popularity worldwide. This method is preferred by both surgeons and patients. The main reason is that this process involves minimal scarring, less pain and shorter hospital stay. To make the recovery smooth, it is essential to prepare yourself both physically and mentally. Here are some tips to follow:
Be ready to prepare yourself beforehand to ease the recovery process. Keep everything at your fingertips and pack all the necessary and required essential items.
- The first week after the surgery is most crucial and proper care should be taken at this time. Someone is required to help during the first week. It could be a spouse, a family member, a friend or a home health aide. A surgery requires a caregiver who can take care of getting you home, help in moving around, cooking, cleaning and monitoring any other complications. In addition, he can keep a track on your medications, meals, exercise and rest.
- Start moving and getting up every two hours to help to heal and to eliminate gas pain. Make small goals like walking on your own to the bathroom. Even a 10 minutes of every day walk outside the house will make you feel refreshed.
- Keep some extra savings beforehand to avoid any kind of financial burden post-surgery. Do not rush yourself back to work until and unless you are completely recovered.
- Do not put too much pressure on the belly before you are healed completely. Abdominal muscles need to heal completely before they can support any pressure. Hugging a pillow to the belly or wearing an abdominal binder is recommended to give that extra support and make you feel comfortable.
- Wear comfortable clothes. Avoid tight and body-hugging clothes as they can provide a lot of discomfort to your body that might result in an increased pain.
- Feel good and feel happy. Pamper yourself with stuff that you enjoy doing watching movies, reading books etc. It can further add to the healing process. Being happy means being healthy.
- Do not feel shy or afraid to call your doctor. Find a doctor who is available over the phone whenever required. It is very normal to experience small discomforts after the surgery and speaking or visiting your doctor is the only solution.
- Last but not the least, trust yourself. Be confident and follow the need of your body. You know your body best.